Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
NURSING ASSISTANT/TECH PARTNER - PCU - FRICK HOSPITAL - CASUAL
at Excela Health
Join our newly designated Magnet Health Care system as a Technical Partner/Nursing Assistant. This position provides direct and indirect patient care under the direction of the RN or LPN.
Actively promotes a Lean work culture by performing team member duties to encourage consistent use of LEAN principles and processes, including continually seeking work process improvements. Recognizes the necessity of taking ownership of one’s own motivation, morale, performance and professional development. Strives for behavior consistent with being committed to Excela’s missions, vision and values.
Essential Functions: Defined as duties specific to the job, that, if removed, would change the entire purpose of the job; to include the Essential Physical Demands and Essential Working Conditions of this position.
I. Core Essential Functions:
- Regular, consistent, on-site, and timely attendance.
- Delivers direct and indirect patient care in accordance with hospital policies, procedures, protocols and standards of care.
- Performs and/or assists with patient care needs as directed and assists patient with activities of daily living.
- Responds to call lights, inquiries and requests from patients and families in a timely manner.
- Collects, documents and reports ongoing patient care data as directed.
- Measures and/or documents intake and output, including drainage and obtains daily weights when indicated.
- Obtains individual patient care equipment as directed.
- Transports patients as directed.
- May perform the following skills: obtains vital signs, applies heating pads, set up suction equipment, utilizes E cylinders, applies antiembolic hose, aseptic techniques, distributes and maintains sufficient supply of linens, applies Sequential Compression Devices, performs blood glucose testing, performs ostomy care, simple dressing changes, applies telemetry leads, bladder scanning, preventative skin care. Apply pulse oximetry, urinary catheter care including foley catheter insertion and removal, and straight catheterizations, transports blood and blood products from blood bank, performs EKGs, oral pharyngeal suctioning, place patient in CPM machine, prepare and maintain isolation boxes and supplies, declutter patient rooms and storage areas, deliver specimens to lab, crutch measurement and teaching, maintenance of specialty carts, supply inventory and special order supplies, stock warmers with blankets, saline, and water.
- Makes regular rounds to address patient needs and physical environment - purposeful hourly rounding,
- Assists in the educational process to promote and maintain health, foster self-care, and improve outcomes.
- Obtains resources as needed.
- Reports to the RN/LPN information regarding the patient's readiness to learn.
- Maintains a collaborative relationship with other health care providers to achieve desired outcomes and assure continuous flow of patient care.
- Communicates pertinent information of actual/potential problems to the professional/practical nurse.
- Communicates pertinent information at shift reports and during internal and external transfers.
- Participates in the unit performance improvement activities designed to enhance the quality of patient care and customer services.
- Assists in data collection process as requested.
- Recommends modifications for performance improvement.
- Demonstrates leadership by utilizing the behaviors inherent to the role of the technical partner.
- Demonstrates an ability to solve problems utilizing critical thinking skills and seeks assistance from immediate supervisor when appropriate.
- Maintains accountability for actions taken.
- Effectively functions as a resource person.
- Acts as a patient advocate.
- Performs effectively in the role of preceptor/mentor to new hires and/or students.
- Assists in maintaining/decreasing organizational/departmental costs.
- Assists in the department's compliance with state, Joint Commission, OSHA and other regulatory agencies.
- Assists in continuous survey readiness for inspections and surveys.
- Adheres to the infection control process, including standard precautions, to reduce the risk of acquiring or transmitting infections.
- Assists with maintaining sufficient and proper supplies on an assigned unit.
- Assists with monitoring sterile supplies for expiration date and replaces as needed.
- Provides for patient safety in compliance with hospital and nursing department policies.
- Utilizes two forms of patient identification before implementing any form of patient care.
- Assumes appropriate code team role during code situations or mock codes.
- Responds effectively during emergency situations, including internal and external disasters.
- Assists in maintaining a safe and clean environment for patients, visitors and staff.
- Completes proper collection, identification, labeling and delivery of specimens (including diagnostic studies) to the appropriate department.
- Supports limited use of restraints in accordance with established standards and documents according to policies.
- Performs other duties as required.
Ability to perform the Essential Functions on the Physical Conditions chart; and the ability to perform the Essential Functions on the Working Conditions chart.
II. Specialty Essential Functions:
V. Marginal Functions: Defined as duties that are not essential in nature and do not take a considerable amount of time to complete (less than 10%).
VI. Required Skills and Knowledge: Minimum level of education, skills and abilities necessary in performing the job.
- HS Diploma or GED
Certification / Licensure / Regulation:
- Current Basic Life Support (BLS) approved curriculum of the American Heart Association (CPR and AED) program.
- PA Act 153 Clearances (Act 34-PA Criminal Record Check from the PA State Police system, Act 33-PA Child Abuse History obtained through the Department of Public Welfare, Act 73-FBI Fingerprint screening)
- Workplace Violence Prevention (transfer into department must obtain within 30 days)
Other Skills and Abilities:
- Sound judgment, problem solving skills, strong oral and written communication skills, ability to follow directions from other team members; works independently assigned duties.
These are job related enhancements that are preferred or would benefit the performance outcome of the job but are not essential or required for the job to exist.
- Nurse Aide certification
- Computer skills, Phlebotomy, EKG experience
- Current Nursing Student (with clinical experience)
The above job descriptive information is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this job. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities, as an employee may be assigned other duties other than described in this document.