Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Apply for Job
Komatsu is leading the application of vehicle autonomy and machine learning technologies in the construction, mining, industrial, and forestry industries to maximize safety and value for our customers. With a full line of products supported by our advanced control platforms, regional distribution channels and a global service network, we help customers safely and sustainably optimize their operations. Our Komatsu, P&H, Joy, Montabert, Modular Mining Systems, Hensley Industries, NTC and Gigaphoton equipment and services are used to extract fundamental minerals and develop modern infrastructure.
How would you like to lead an innovative team of engineers to develop autonomous technology that will revolutionize how underground mining is performed? The Technology Manager Controls & Automation is the strategic decision maker on matters associated with software architecture of our underground mining control software. This position will be based in Warrendale, PA but time must also be spent in our Franklin, PA location. To collaborate and understand our other markets, travel will be required to our other global design offices in the UK, Australia and South Africa. This position requires in-depth technical engineering skills in software design, machine automation, Web Development and data management. You will have direct accountability for the development of software to support the underground mining products, including cost and quality. You will work alongside the hardware design teams and product application teams and will directly report to the Director of C&A Longwall and Technologies to fully support the vision, deliverables, metrics and roadmap outlined to meet business goals.
- Be the technology leader for Controls and Automation software and system design for all underground products through collaboration with all cross-functional organizations to achieve specific product outcomes.
- Be accountable for product development costs, run time costs, market leading technology and product quality.
- Set and manage clear product development strategies that meet the needs of our internal customers and drive innovation into technology we can implement on future products.
- Create the technology roadmaps, drive new product development plans, and lead "next model" developments, align with customer needs and driving long-term customer satisfaction.
- Direct product life cycle strategies to drive the sunrise and sunset of core software product, features and options in alignment with product roadmaps.
- Drive for development of cross-product platforms, maintenance of technical product configuration options, and consistent use of Joy’s business systems and databases.
- Administer group resources.
- Develop and maintain the annual budget for this position.
- Prioritize projects based on resource level and manage or influence human resources.
- Direct engineering in developing or maintaining offerings that meet market needs.
- Maintain communication with the hardware and product application groups through their appointed managers to review the status and future of the product line.
- Establish core product offerings to the application teams.
- Identify need for new major product initiatives to senior management for further consideration.
- Ensure globalization of product line as required.
- Produce product training for product groups.
- Develop leadership talent.
- Chart critical field failures and drive to their resolution.
- Evaluate, justify, and prioritize next generation of products.
- Create a product plan that supports our business strategy (5 to 10 years).
- Bachelor of Science Degree, in Computer Science or Software Development, required. However, candidates with the right commercial experience will also be considered.
- 8 years’ experience managing people and/or major projects in industry, preferred.
- 10 years’ experience of Control Systems on automated or autonomous machines, required.
- Participation in implementing Lean Engineering principles, preferred.
- Leadership of effective Change Management implementation, highly desired.
- Experience in cross-functional assignment(s), required.
- Certifications or demonstrated project management, required.
- Professional registration and/or membership in committees and/or technical societies, beneficial.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.