Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
MobilizeGreen Fuels Resource Assistant - Spring 2021
- 04-Nov-2020 to 03-Jan-2021 (EST)
- Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Join Us. Do work that matters:
MobilizeGreen is a national nonprofit committed to jumpstarting green careers for diverse youth and recent graduates, while advancing environmental equity in communities across the country.
In partnership with the USDA Forest Service, MobilizeGreen offers internship opportunities for college students (graduating before April 12, 2021), graduate students, and recent graduates. The Resource Assistants Program (RAP) provides flexible internship placements based in National Forests across the US for those interested in Forest Service careers. Resource Assistants work under the mentorship and coaching of Forest Service staff to complete mission-critical work while developing leadership, critical thinking, and strategic communication skills. The RAP was designed for emerging professionals to launch their natural and cultural resources careers.
Each MobilizeGreen Resource Assistant starts their journey with a weeklong orientation, where they will meet other RAs and Forest Service staff from across the country and engage in skill building and career development activities. Once an RA arrives at their host site, they are supervised and mentored by a variety of Forest Service staff, engaging with experts from business, conservation, and science backgrounds, and learning more about careers as they work on vital projects within the Forest Service. Upon completion of the program, RAs receive a 2-year direct hiring certificate with the Forest Service, keeping the door open for exciting career opportunities with their host site, or with any of the 154 national forests across the country. MobilizeGreen will enhance your career opportunities, introduce you to key leaders in the natural resource field, and engage you on your career journey to a job with the Forest Service.
Position Abstract: This is an exciting opportunity and will provide the applicant with a challenging and rewarding experience in one of the most beautiful locations in the Nation. The position is located within the US Forest Service, Pacific Southwest Region on the Lake Tahoe Basin Management Unit. The Resource Assistant (RA) will participate in forest vegetation management, including work in fuels, wildland fire, natural resources, prevention and education. The RA should have basic computer and administrative skills; ability to work on their own (exercise initiative); desire to participate in field work; and excellent verbal and written communication skills to work with the public. No wildland fire qualifications needed, although opportunities for training may be available depending on the time of year. A successful candidate will be highly organized, have a positive, energetic attitude, be interested in learning new skills in both prescribed and wildland fire and fuels management overall, and love to work in the outdoors.
Work Environment: Work will occur in the office and in outdoor settings. When working in an outdoor setting, candidates should be prepared for all types of weather (spring, summer, and fall temperatures with rain/snow possible). Candidates should be prepared for arduous work, specifically hiking in mountainous terrain and carrying a backpack of work and personal supplies for the day. LTBMU will ensure the RA is prepared with any personal protective equipment (PPE) needed for work, such as fire gear, gloves, eye protection or any PPE needed for specific tasks/assignments.
Location: Over 78% of the area around the lake is public land managed by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) Forest Service. Totaling over 154,000 acres, this land includes beaches, hiking and biking trails, wilderness, historic estates and developed recreation areas such as campgrounds and riding stables. The Forest is managed to provide access for the public and to protect the natural resources of the area. We hope the candidate will join us in ensuring that the lake and surrounding lands will be even more beautiful and healthy in the future than they are today. As for amenities, there are towns surrounding the lake which have full amenities. The Reno/Carson City area adjacent to the lake has additional stores/amenities available.
Host Unit: Lake Tahoe Basin Management Unit
Duty Station: LTBMU Supervisor's Office, 35 College Dr., South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150
- 26 Weeks starting April 12, 2021
- Full Time/40 hours per week
- $500 per week living allowance (stipend)
- $1000/month housing stipend
- Hands on learning and job training experience
- Site travel stipend eligible
- 2-year direct hiring certificate with the Forest Service (with successful completion and 960 hours completion)
- Health insurance eligible
- Mentorship for career and professional development
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support of a wide range of forest fuels management activities, specifically related to prescribed fire and preparing/implementing pile burns. Work could include on-the-ground review of forest conditions, development of project proposals and coordination of fuel load reduction activities.
- Maintain RAWS stations according to USFS standards, to include completing associated data entry.
- Attend meetings with cooperators, public affairs representatives, and other stakeholders. Present ideas, represent the US Forest Service, LTBMU.
- Visit fuel treatment locations, collecting data/information. Involvement in live fuel sampling, along with providing updates on fuel conditions to Line Officers, Forest Leadership Team (FLT), and Fire Managers.
- Create presentations, assist with fire prevention and education in the communities around the Lake Tahoe Basin, specifically in relation to prescribed fire messaging. Assist with public information, writing press releases/emails to share information in relation to prescribed fire/fuels.
- There will also be many other duties/opportunities to be involved in other areas in the LTBMU Fire and Fuels Program. Fire Leadership is committed to making this a great experience for the candidate overall and will adjust duties in accordance with the candidate's interests, skills, and abilities.
Experience and Qualifications:
- Associate's degree or higher in Natural Resource Management, Forestry, or other conservation-related field.
- Valid Driver's license required (driving record will be reviewed prior to placement)
- Direct experience conducting along with a desire to participate in arduous field work (required).
- Desire to work as part of a team, where respect of team members and communication between team members is essential.
- Excellent administrative, organization, and written/verbal communication skills.
- Desire and ability to interact with the public, partner, stakeholders, and others in a positive, constructive, respectful, professional manner.
- GIS skills would be a great benefit (or capacity to learn GIS skills).
- Candidate must be physically fit.
- Basic computer and administrative skills, including but not limited to data entry and word processing
MobilizeGreen is an equal opportunity employer. We are an organization committed to diversity. Women, people of color, indigenous people, people of all sexual orientations and gender identities, military veterans, and members of other historically disenfranchised groups are encouraged to apply.
Instructions to Apply:
Please note, we are only reviewing applications submitted to our General Application, which can be found at This Link.
In order to be considered for the Fuels Resource Assistant position, please reference Position Code R5.TAH.FUE when asked.
For more information on MobilizeGreen go to:
ONLY APPLICATIONS SUBMITTED THROUGH THIS LINK WILL BE REVIEWED. INDEED SUBMISSIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.