Uber Technologies, inc
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Senior System Engineer, Self Driving
at Uber Technologies, inc
- Advanced Technologies Group - Software Engineering
We’re changing the way people think about transportation. Not that long ago we were just an app to request premium black cars in a few metropolitan areas. Now we’re a part of the logistical fabric of more than 600 cities around the world. Whether it’s a ride, a sandwich, or a package, we use technology to give people what they want, when they want it.
For the people who drive with Uber, our app represents a flexible new way to earn money. For cities, we help strengthen local economies, improve access to transportation, and make streets safer.
About the Role
Systems engineers at Uber are at the core of creating new technology that will enable the future of self driving cars and trucks. They draw on multiple information sources across different domains and ensure the entire team is aligned and working efficiently towards a singular vision. AVMaps is a collection of multi-disciplinary teams working together to build a next generation of the AVMap used by out vehicles, as well as other teams and Engineers working on Autonomy Software.
AVMaps has a need for an experienced System Engineer to understand the systems we are building and ensuring all teams are aligned in vision, scope and process toward building. This position reports to the Sr. Manager of AVMaps and will take specific ownership of aligning the Software and Production teams in AVMaps to establish and enforce the processes for building the “AVMap 2.0” core deliverable of the AVMaps team.
What You'll Do / What You'll Need / Bonus Points / About the Team
What You’ll Do
- As a Senior Systems Engineer, you will be responsible for aligning the teams and systems in AVMaps (specifically the Applications, Automation, Quality Systems and Workflow teams) behind the process used to create the AVMap
- Take ownership of the processes and standards used by all teams: author new processes with collaboration with the other teams, enforce standards and track progress of work done inside the teams
- Comprehend, catalogue, and own the definitions of the system elements and interactions in the contexts of development, test, production, and deployment
- Generate concise, clear systems engineering work you're doing, communicate business and technical requirements at differing levels as appropriate to the audience, and adapt rapidly based on new information
- Work in a small, self-optimizing team passionate about delivering results, not building an empire
What You’ll Need
- Be fluent in system architecture diagrams, concept of operations documents, ICDs, APIs, requirements management processes, and system verification plans
- Understand how to assess risks, weigh potential trade-offs, and swiftly generate an insightful analysis of alternative solutions when required
- Differentiate between meaningful and unimportant issues and help others do the same
- Continually craft a systems engineering framework to be complementary to, and augmented by, rapid system prototyping iterations happening in parallel
- Communicate with external partners thoughtfully and with deference to intellectual property and business relationship considerations
- Have a confirmed ability to move fast and the confidence to innovate where industry standard methodologies come up short
Bonus Points If
- Experience working with complex systems building mission critical data and API representations for a department
- Success at a startup, within an Agile development process, as a member of a dynamic skunkworks division, or in another non-traditional engineering environment
- Effective adaptation of standard systems engineering processes to unusual new technology applications
- Familiarity with sophisticated, safety-critical software within automotive or another industry (e.g., aerospace, defense, medical, transportation)
- Exposure to automotive functional safety standards such as ISO 26262
- Regular collaboration, in person and via video conference, with international business partners
- You flourish with learning new technologies, pivot easily but thoughtfully to new ideas, and don’t believe in one-size-fits-all solutions.
- Versatile teammate - You are willing to adapt to whatever role is most needed in a given moment, and you rely on others' candid feedback for continuous improvement
- Passionate - You feel ownership over everything you work on, and you hold yourself to higher standards and expectations than your current leader does
- Business savvy -You understand requirements beyond the written word and how your technical contributions will influence the viability of future products
About the Team
The AVMaps team at Uber Advanced Technologies Group (ATG) is a passionate, close-knit group of interdisciplinary thinkers and doers that craft forward-thinking software that enables self-driving vehicles. We develop technologies at fast pace while considering safety, legality and user experience. The team identifies map data and builds solutions to deliver reliable and high quality maps for faster autonomous development.
At Uber ATG, your work will change the world of transportation. On the AV Maps team, you will be able to jump into an autonomous car and know that its ability to navigate our complicated world, and do it smoothly, is because of you. On the team, you will experience lively debates about crafting our map producers experience, optimal algorithm design, and enthusiastic conversations about solving hard math problems. You will work on a team of user experience designers, mathematicians, and back-end developers all working together to solve a common goal. You will never have a day where you don’t learn something new. If this sounds exciting to you, we want to hear from you: someone smart, innovative, ready to change the world and have fun.